Saturday, September 22, 2007

Bathroom Chronicles, Vol. 2

Hello all. It's that time again, when I share progress we've made on the new bathroom. I'm actually quite surprised at how it's coming along. The drywall work is done (THANK GOD!) and it came out ok. It's not a professional job by any means, but luckily for me, the rest of the drywall work in my house is awful, so by comparison mine looks outstanding :-)

I had a business trip to Annapolis, MD this week so I didn't get a chance to do any work during the week. However, my wife did (Yay Beth!). She got 2 coats of paint on the walls done so the bathroom looked like this by the time I got back...

Now before you start asking too many questions, it's supposed to look like this. We're installing wainscoting along the bottom portion of the walls (toilet area to the right of the new wall), and shower panels to the left. Now, as for not painting straight lines, you'll have to ask Beth about that yourself :)

I started in on the beaded board wainscoting today since it's the last major item needed before we can have the new toilet installed. The kits I bought are working out nicely. For those of you who are interested, I went with MDF since it's inexpensive and going to be painted anyway. I found these complete wainscoting kits on-line at Elite Trimworks.com. A photo of the toilet area as I left it today (sans paint & toilet) is below. I'm really happy with how it's looking. The entire bathroom will have this installed eventually.

The last few things we did today was install the baffles on the recessed light fixtures and cut a hole for the recessed shampoo shelf that will be installed after the shower panels go in. Beth thought it would be cute to get the obligatory "Where's Joe?" photo. She's taken these when I installed the laundry room window, master bath window, you get the picture...

Tomorrow starts the shower panel adventure. With any luck, the bathroom will at least look like it has a working shower by the end of the day. I'll let you know if it actually works out that way. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. We are :-)

5 comments:

jacquieblackman said...

Looks great!! Can't wait to... urrr... use it. ;-)

idyllicchick said...

I love the color! And beadboard... oohhhhh, I love beadboard. And MDF can only make it better!

Lorena said...

Now... can all of us fit in there at once, for when we pop the cork on the bottle of champagne for you...?

Eric K. said...

Nice work! I'm quite impressed with the progress you're making. And I really like those MDF beadboard kits. I would definitely go that route.

Joe W said...

I think we'll be able to fit everyone in there...especially if champagne is involved >;D