Thursday, September 6, 2007

Bathroom Chronicles, Vol. 1

If you read Beth's blog, you're at least familiar with the trials & tribulations of the master bath remodel we're currently doing. Well, since the whole woodworking and home improvement slant is supposed to be MY thing, I thought it was about time that I blogged about it.

We're currently in the middle of putting up drywall, which has turned out to one of the most significant tasks to overcome. I've done drywall work before, but never an entire room from scratch, from sizing and screwing up the sheets, taping and mudding the joints, and the sanding. Drywall sanding is kinda like paying taxes, just when you think you may be done, there's more- lots more. Well, we started doing the ceiling last night and luckily, we rented a lift to provide the muscle. A machine like this can save a marriage, and I'm convinced that if I hadn't rented it, Beth and I would have ended up killing each other while trying to do it ourselves.

The photo may not show this in great detail, but several of the ceiling joists have wood shims installed over them. This is because back in the day, there was no need to ensure your framing was plumb & square since you could make it so when you applied the plaster. Well, it's not quite so easy with drywall...if you don't want walls that look like wavy mountain roads, you must shim the low spots, one by one, until all studs and joists are even. I cut sets of 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8" shims on the bandsaw so that the 5 joists from left to right would be level. Each wall had to be handled the same way, which is why it took me several weeks to get them done. It's tedious detail-oriented tasks like these that make me want a new house.

Another recent completed task is the new vent fan (shown below). We got a Panasonic whisper-wall, a direct vent model which true to its name, is very quiet. A major advantage to a complete remodel is total control over where to run the electrical. With this in mind, we went with the new fan, recessed overhead lighting, and three times the number of outlets and switches we had before. This photo also shows the new window, which is another major upgrade :)

Up next is taping & mudding the ceiling drywall, refinishing the oak floors, and priming everything. Before long we'll actually have a working toilet again (after 6 months or so) and a second shower (after 2 years). Geez, it's amazing what you're willing to live with. I've got a deadline of October 18 for finishing everything (anybody know why??), so the next 6 weeks ought to be quite busy...

3 comments:

Eric K. said...

I have not had much luck with taping drywall. Everything else, I can fake my way through. And as one who has a bathroom remodel "albatross" on my hands, I admire the progress you're making. Keep up the good work! (and I nominate the guy who invented the drywall lift for a Nobel prize!).

Joe W said...

One BIG lesson learned during taping was to never leave air gaps behind the tape. What happens is the tape absorbs too much moisture and swells, making ridges at the seams. Problem is, they come right back after sanding and applying more mud. The only solution is cutting out the tape, filling the gap and re-doing everything. This BLOWS!

Lorena said...

I am SO BEHIND in my blog reading. Just had to say that you and my husband Tim must be from the same batch. Too bad he's not coming up with me, because the two of you could bitch about drywall together like pros!