Sunday, September 14, 2008

Great Day at Hoover Dam

My buddy Shawn & I decided to go to Hoover Dam today on our day off. I've been wanting to see it for the longest time, so the fact that it's only 40 minutes from Vegas made it a perfect short day trip.

We took the tour to take a look inside some of the tunnels and see the power plant. It was definitely worth it. The scale of the place is breathtaking. I found out that the concrete that makes up the base of the dam is 660 feet thick! Dam(n)... :-)

I took these photos with my phone. They didn't turn out too bad.

View from the parking deck looking at the face of the dam.

Looking south down the Colorado River

8 of the 17 generators that make up the 2080 MW generating capacity of the power plant. These are on the Nevada side of the river.

Lake Mead. The white line on the banks is where the water was in 1983. It hasn't been that high since.

These are the intake structures to the power plant. The water that goes to the turbines enters through the grates on the sides of these towers. There's 4 in all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like an awesome trip! And, it is great to see you blogging again! It satisfies the voyeur in me! ;^)
Kristin

Eric K. said...

Way cool! Hoover Dam is definitely on my "to do" list! Glad you got a chance to take it all in.