Sunday, March 2, 2008

Beer Fridge !!

Wanna know how cool my wife is? She too thought that getting a beer fridge for the shop would be a good birthday present!! I must admit that there is a bit of back-story here, but the overall premise is still true.

The prospect of getting said fridge was borne out of our friends Russ & Roe, who have a similar fridge in their garage. The difference being that Russ has filled that fridge with beer and had 5 more cases sitting on the garage floor! You see, Russ is more of a beer collector than a beer drinker, so the rate with which he buys dwarfs the rate at which he consumes. It's rather said, actually, but he shares much of his bounty and I'm grateful for it.

When Roe threatened to take their fridge back, Russ was faced with a quandry... where to put all of the displaced beer? Well, like a good soldier who's willing to take one for the team, I stood up and said, "I'll Take It." :-) and Just like that, I had a full-size fridge delivered to the house to help my dear friend out. The photo below happens to show my two favorite additions to the shop: the fridge and my 16" Laguna bandsaw.

And this is what 5 cases of great micro- and foreign brews look like in the new fridge. It's OK, feel free to take a moment if you need to...

What I truly love about this one is there's no freezer and it's equipped with an internal heater so you can keep it outside in the winter without the contents freezing. This was key since I only heat my shop when I'm out there. The longer-term plan is to put a kegerator kit in the door so I can keg my homebrew. The bottom shelf should be just high enough to fit 5-gal corny kegs. Yeah, Baby!!

6 comments:

idyllicchick said...

I'll be in my bunk.
=)

Unknown said...

The proximity of a giant saw to all that beer is making me a little nervous. Don't drink and saw, you probably need all your fingers!

Eric K. said...

Why do I have this odd feeling that you've basically recreated "Man Heaven" here on earth? Hah! What more could one ask for (that would be legal, anyway)?

Related, our Marketing Director is a big beer and wine homebrewer. He was on the trip to Pittsburgh, so we had a chance to talk. He kegs all his beer now, unless he has other intentions for it (like giving away for gifts). He got tired of washing bottles and doing the whole bottling process. Of course, he's made 185 batches of beer in his lifetime, so I can only imagine!

Joe W said...

Damn. I've made 7 batches and I'm already sick of washing bottles!

If I only had a bathroom and satellite TV in the shop, it would be man-heaven. I can install the TV service, but the bath is out of reach in this shop, unfortunately. Perhaps one day in another house.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone wants a kegging system for Christmas!! A beer fridge in the basement with all the power tools?? I'll send Pete right over! We are so excited to catch up with you all this summer. Peter can't wait to have someone drink scotch with him! Just 4 months and 2 days!
Kristin

rustifer said...

What is great about this situation is that I now have two places where I can put my feet up, enjoy a cold one and smoke some fine cigars! Life is good!